After one bite of Oven Roasted Idaho Potatoes with Herbed Pecans you’ll be ready to embrace the fall and all its spectacularly warm colors and flavors. A variety of Idaho russet, purple and red potatoes are tossed with toasted pecans that have been seasoned with butter, brown sugar, cayenne and rosemary making for an unforgettable side dish. The cayenne pepper gives these taters a kick of heat, creating a sweet and spicy medley of flavors.
Following is a recipe from Idaho Potato Commission via Cheryl Bennett, Food Blogger for oven roasted potatoes with toasted herbed pecans and a honey mustard pecan dressing. These potatoes are packed with flavor and just a little spice.
Make sure to lay the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast them until they develop a nice, golden color.
• 2 pounds Idaho russet potatoes, diced
• 1 pound baby purple potatoes, halved
• 1/2 pound baby red potatoes, quartered (or halved if small)
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
For the dressing
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 heaping tablespoon whole grain mustard
• 1/4 cup pecans
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl, toss potatoes with canola oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
2. Lay potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, until crispy and browned.
3. Lay pecans on a separate baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as they go from toasted to burnt quickly.
4. Toss warm, toasted pecans with butter, brown sugar, cayenne and rosemary. Set aside.
5. Make dressing: In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
6. Combine roasted potatoes, herbed pecans and dressing, toss the combine and coat evenly with dressing. Serve warm.