You are the owner of this page.

Contact Us

Argus Observer
1160 SW 4th Street
Ontario OR 97914
Phone: 541-889-5387
Fax: 541-889-3347
 

ARGUS OBSERVER

The Argus Observer is a direct descendent of a publication called “The Advocate,” originally established Jan. 6, 1897, in Malheur County’s county seat, Vale, Oregon. Partisan in nature, The Advocate supported William Jennings Bryan for president and was owned by E.R. Murray and then W. E. Lees.

Twice in its early history, The Advocate attempted a daily publication. The first attempt took place in 1898 and the second in 1904. Between these attempts, The Advocate was moved from Vale to Ontario in 1899. The name of the paper changed to The Ontario Advocate.

In 1936, Elmo Smith, who would go on to become Oregon’s governor, established The Eastern Oregon Observer. The publication was founded as a shopper but later became a full-fledged newspaper. Eventually Robert E. Pollock and Jessica Longston owned the paper. The Eastern Oregon Observer operated for 11 years before being consolidated with the Ontario Argus. 

Bernard Mainwaring and Don Lynch then owned the Ontario Argus. Both publications were printing twice weekly. The subscription lists for both papers were consolidated, and the name of the publication was changed to the Ontario Argus Observer, which ultimately became the Daily Argus Observer and today is known simply as The Argus Observer.

A key turning point in the history of the newspaper occurred in 1968 when Wick Communications bought the Argus Observer. The corporation still owns the paper. 

The first Wick publisher of the newspaper was Fran McLean, who managed the publication for more than 30 years.  McLean’s successor, Steve Krehl took over in 1998 and retired in 2009. Krehl still serves on the paper as publisher emeritus.  In 2009, John Dillon, a Treasure Valley native, was named publisher to replace Krehl.

The Argus Observer currently has just more than 35 employees. The newspaper reaches a market in Eastern Oregon and Southwest Idaho consisting of residents living in Malheur County, Oregon and Payette, Adams and Washington counties in Idaho.

The newspaper publishes Tuesday through Friday and distributes a Sunday edition throughout a three-county region in Oregon and Idaho.

Named after mythical creatures from Greek legend — the all-seeing Argus with 100 eyes — the Argus Observer newspaper has remained a viable part of the Malheur and Payette county community for more than a century.


 

 

 
John Dillon
Publisher
johnd@argusobserver.com
541-823-4830
Dee Lee
Business Manager
deel@argusobserver.com
541-823-4804
 
Editorial Department
  
Kristi Albertson
Editor
kristia@argusobserver.com
541-823-4818
Leslie Thompson
Assistant Editor
lesliet@argusobserver.com
541-823-4814
Larry Meyer
News Reporter
larrym@argusobserver.com
541-823-4813
Jessica Else
News Reporter
jessicae@argusobserver.com
541-823-4822
Natalie Snook
Obituary Desk
obits@argusobserver.com
541-823-4810
 
Advertising Department
  
Debbie Regalado
Advertising Manager
debbier@argusobserver.com
541-823-4808
Kelly Jones
Account Executive
kellyj@argusobserver.com
541-823-4820
Doug Spencer
Account Executive
dougs@argusobserver.com
541-823-4832
Lark MacKenzie
Account Executive
larkm@argusobserver.com
541-823-4834
Shela Gerdau
Classified & Legal Representative
shelag@argusobserver.com
legalclerk@argusobserver.com
541-823-4819
Natalie Snook
Classified Representative
natalies@argusobserver.com
541-823-4810
 
Circulation Department
  
Bill McCarver
Circulation Manager
billm@argusobserver.com
541-823-4826

April Terry
Circulation Office Manager
aprilt@argusobserver.com
541-823-4825

 

 
Production Department
  
Wade Cordes
Production Manager
wadec@argusobserver.com
541-823-4841

More from our site

  • Updated
  • Updated